Monday 20 January 2014

The Death of Subtlety

Having put Iron man 2 on for my dad the other day I couldn't help but catch the start. There's Robert Downey Jr on stage surrounded by beautiful women wearing very little and mimicking his moves in a sexy way.

Ok...so he's successful. Did they intend to shove it down our throats?

Or what about Game of Thrones and Spartacus. Two of the most watched series of our generation and most likely due to being so over the top in violence, gore and sex.

For someone who's favourite horror movie is The Shining I cant understand the appeal of movies like Saw. The subtle and brilliant way madness is shown creeping into a man's life is amazing to behold. Then you could just watch a movie about someone getting their head cut off.

Are writers just trying to top the latest trends and becoming desperate to shock? Or are we becoming desensitized to moderate stimuli?

There truly is some beauty in the subtle art of using language to allude to a point, rather than ripping it open and saying, "here it is! You didn't miss it did you? This is the point you know!"

I understand that artists try to pander to all levels, hell, even Shakespeare through in the odd pun at the hands of several dim witted jesters to appease the baser members of the audience.

I suppose I just wish there was something I could watch and come away feeling enriched rather than I just wasted 50 mins of my life and have to clean up the melting brain from my ears. I know, subtle right.

Well I suppose I could just do something more enriching and write. In fact what more is a screen than an assault on the senses?

~Fraser

No comments:

Post a Comment