Thursday 6 March 2014

Scottish Referendum

So Scotland is poised to make a monumental decision about whether to part ways from England, Wales and Northern Ireland and leave the UK.

It seems ironic after years of fighting for independence and romantic memories of a Jacobite rebellion albeit a distant one that when given the choice Scotland hesitates.

I'm waiting with baited breath considering it really could go either way. I wont labour on the political or economic ramifications but rather that many people will be forced with facing a question of nationality.

I'm British - half Scottish and half English. British is a neat way of tying me together with a single nationality. It seems odd that I might lose that, not get a say in whether it happens, or what it might cause.

While I find myself longing to go back to Scotland for my next holiday I don't ever want to see a border. A lot of water has passed under the bridge regarding our collective British history and I feel those wishing to split are either holding onto ancient grudges or see Britain as having too much sway on making Scotland what it is.

I can't help but feel the opposite. Scotland makes Britain what it is, the same as England.

Let's ditch the out of date expression United Kingdom, it's an obsolete phrase considering we are not a monarchy, despite the royal family we manage to maintain.

It's a phrase which sends out all sorts of bad messages as to who's in charge.

Instead let's stay united behind Britannia. A goddess, whom stayed long after the Romans to represent us as a people.

I can’t wait to be back in the Highlands and know I'll be going there as a Brit and hope I can say that for many years to come.

~Fraser


No comments:

Post a Comment