Wednesday 9 April 2014

Professions

Rightly or wrongly, much like the cover of a book, a person is most often judged on first impressions.

I find when I come across someone at work I can often tell within the first few seconds of meeting them whether I will get on with them.

It's strange that you can work somewhere for a year and still feel like the new guy, but I suppose it's all down to the environment.

But can you ever feel "at home" or is there always going to be that out of place feeling due to the very nature of work. It's mercenary,  let's face it. I wouldn't be here if I wasn't paid, and neither would any of the people around me.

With that in mind it does make you wonder how office politics develop and why people wouldn't just try and make the time pass as pleasantly as possible.

Stick enough people and enough personalities in one place and you're bound to come into conflicts. Especially when you catch yourself thinking "outside of work I'd have nothing to do with a person like you.

It does beg the question that there has to be a better way - but short of living the "good life" or quitting to follow your non financially viable dreams what choice do we have.

Such stress for such young people is surely a sign that things need to change.

~Fraser

No comments:

Post a Comment