Thursday 12 June 2014

Ancestry

When I think of my family history through the ages, it truly amazes me to know that one of my ancestors was around at every major event in my cultural history.

The world wars, The rise of Cromwell and the English Civil wars, Scottish independence, the crusades. With such deep historic ties to culture and nation I wonder why I find myself so inexorably drawn to parts of history in particular?

Two things stand out in my mind as being fascinating subjects - the Celts and the Crusades and I've taken great pleasure in reading about them both over my life but is there more to than random curiosity?

Looking at yourself in the mirror and you can pick out certain features that can tell us about our past. Why could it not be the same for our minds? I'm not for one minute saying that we have memories of our relatives but what about the way we think? Similar interests, personality traits passed down through the ages for instance.

I find it curious when I spoke to my colleague at work who said he was interested in Norman history and when I looked at his long hooked nose and ginger hair, I could well believe it.

Perhaps these irrational interests are just the result of historical fiction we've encountered but maybe there's more to it than that. Just think that the history you find so fascinating might just have been written by your ancestors.

Painted by Renu Desai

~ Fraser

No comments:

Post a Comment