Thursday 19 June 2014

Temptation

I haven't had to abstain in a while. I haven't even had to refrain either although the difference escapes me somewhat.

Going in for surgery tonight and told I can't eat all day. For someone who snacks for the whole of my usual routine it's proving interesting.

My will power seems fairly low and I'm getting some serious hunger. I work in an office where everyone is snacking so I decided to take a walk at lunch time.

Everything seems to smell tasty out here. The fumes from the canteen, Catering vans, freshly sawn wood. I'd eat anything right now and I think that was clear on my face, watching a rather plump pigeon hide when it saw me coming.

Like our other human faculties I imagine will power is the result of the same equation.

Natural disposition + training/experience - negative external stimuli = faculty/ability

I haven't needed to hold back in a long time. I find it hard to maintain my weight and harder still to put weight on. And don't think I don't get sick of people grabbing their belly and saying "I wish I had that problem."

Most thin people can look at those overweight and comfortably ask why they just don't cut down on what they eat. I imagine their mind and how badly it wants to give in and find relief.

We're at an exponential stage of human development.  We've got so much that we're becoming unstable. We've not had to be moderate so we lose the ability.

Perhaps it's good to flex a long out of use muscle and abstain a while. It's strange to think that I rarely eat because I am genuinely hungry. Sometimes it's just because food is there.

Makes me wonder what other faculties I have that desperately need some training?

~Fraser

No comments:

Post a Comment