Saturday 1 February 2014

Influence

Some of my earliest memories are sat next to my Dad as he read me stories before bed.

The Hobbit was definitely my favourite and I loved the riddles and the appropriately squeaky voice used for Gollum.

I also remember him reading Beowulf and the Knights of the Round table and it left me thinking, that despite intention to put me to sleep, I can't help feeling that those stories crept into my dreams.

Since an early age I was fascinated by warriors and knights, grand deeds by great heroes. The first real book I actually read was a collection of short stories about dragons, or more importantly for me the men who fought them.

Stan Bolovan and the Dragon whom he tricks, the Prince of the Thieves, Lancelot, Beowulf, and Jason and the Argonauts. Wonderful stories every one.

I got into writing when I was 16 and my first ever story (well -- film script) was a parody of Jason and the Argonauts. The less said about it the better, but ever since I have been an avid writer. Poetry, Short Stories, Flash Fiction, A Novel. What are the majority of these stories? Fantasy fiction.

When I have children of my own, I think I'm going to make some very careful choices about which books end up on the bedside cabinet.

~Fraser

No comments:

Post a Comment